The Envirothon Experience
What do the students get out of the experience? Combining in-class curriculum and hands-on field experiences, the Envirothon NB program is an excellent way to supplement environmental education inside and outside the traditional classroom. Envirothon NB participants gain valuable knowledge and training in ecology and natural resource management principles and practices. Many students step away from the Envirothon experience excited about learning and motivated to pursue careers in environmental studies, environmental law, natural sciences, and natural resource management.
Video by J.D. Irving Limited
- Students gain current, practical knowledge of local ecosystems and sustainability issues from environmental professionals.
- Students increase their understanding of basic science concepts in the areas of forests, wildlife, soils and aquatic ecology.
- Students gain a practical understanding of the impact of human activities on the environment and avenues of minimizing negative effects.
- Envirothon creates a forum for secondary school students to explore environmental issues from a variety of viewpoints with their peers, natural resources professionals and community leaders.
Irving Nature Park Hosts Annual High School Envirothon - 2013
2013 Competition Photo Video
For additional information on Envirothon NB, please read the following two documents:
Read about the Stanley High School's team experience at the North American Envirothon 2008 in Arizona.
The advisors benefit:
Please Read!Advisors - Yes You Can!
- Work with a group of highly motivated students who take pride in conservation of our natural resources.
- Gain knowledge from professionals, and other teachers during workshops and competitions.
- Experience a new way of teaching hands-on information; show students a new way of learning through problem-solving.